W. James Johnson
James Johnson heads the firm’s office in Asheville, North Carolina. James has over 15 years of experience in construction law. He is a proven litigator who has successfully tried numerous matters to verdict in a wide range of construction, business, and transactional matters. James has represented residential and commercial general contractors, developers, trade contractors, suppliers, and design professionals throughout North and South Carolina in matters that include contract negotiations and disputes, representation before licensing boards and disputes arising on federal and state Public Projects. In addition, he has been involved in a number of complex business and commercial disputes and handles payment and collection claims involving liens and bonds. James has successfully prosecuted claims involving construction, product defects, shareholder disputes, fiduciary claims, lender liability, and business dissolution and commercial transactions.
James speaks regularly to his legal peers and industry groups on construction law matters.
James is a certified Superior Court Mediator.
- University of South Carolina, Juris Doctor, cum laude
- Wofford College, Bachelor’s Degree in English
- 28th Judicial District Bar and the North Carolina Bar Association
- Associated General Contractors of America (AGC), Carolinas
- North Carolina Bar Association,
- Various positions with the Construction Law Section of the NC Bar Association including CLE chair and secretary
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Awards and Honors
- Included in Best Lawyers of America
- North Carolina Super Lawyers
- North Carolina Legal Elite
- Harry C. Martin American Inns of Court
- North Carolina Bar Association, Participating Author, North Carolina Construction Law Desk Book
- North Carolina Bar Association, Co-Chairperson and Planner “Construction Law 2013: Practice Smarter, Not Harder”
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, “Rising Star,” 2011-2013
- South Carolina Law Review, Past Editor