Don handles the Greenville office of Smith Terry & Johnson. Don focuses his practice entirely on serving the construction industry. His construction law practice emerged from his experience in the construction industry. As a teenager and college student, Don worked as a laborer and carpenter for his father’s construction company. At Clemson University, Don earned a degree in Construction Science and Management, while working part time for a utility contractor and part time for an asphalt sealing contractor. After graduating from Clemson, he worked as a project manager for several construction companies and eventually started a small general contracting business in Greenville, SC which he operated for almost ten years. As a general contractor, Don built projects including water and sewer treatment plants, grocery stores, restaurants, and churches. Realizing that he could bring an insider’s perspective to the practice of construction law, Don went on to earn a law degree at the University of South Carolina School of Law.
Don serves construction companies in nearly every aspect of their business, from company inception and formation, to project management and document control, contract drafting and negotiation, litigation, and OSHA investigations and defense. His litigation practice ranges from simple payment claims prosecution and defense, to complex delay and acceleration claims and multi-party litigation.
- Clemson University, Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Science and Management
- University of South Carolina, Juris Doctor
- South Carolina Bar Association, Construction Law Section
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Carolinas Associated General Contractors, Legislative Committee
- Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) Member
- Greenville County Bar Association